No new purchased computer comes with previously installed disk or physical-recovery so as to prevent piracy & decrease the cost of production. There always comes the need of recovery media like to use the recovery drive, usb/flash drives in order to troubleshoot issues or helps in the process of boot of your operating system. It’s recommended to use a flash drive rather than any cd/dvd as many of the pcs do not include these drives anymore.
How to create a recovery drive ?
In windows 10
- Look for create a recovery drive in your taskbar & then select it. Type your password if needed
- Tick the backup system files to a recovery drive. Click on next.
- Connect an usb drive used solely for the backup purpose only.
- When the process is complete the option of delete the recovery partition from your pc will pop up. You may or may not select it. Or else Click on finish and it’s done.
In windows 8/8.1
- Press on the windows key & search for recovery drive and press enter
- Create a recovery drive will open.
- Plug the drive to your device and complete the steps on the onscreen wizard to create recovery-drive. The steps are similar to windows10 that are stated above.
Here you get an extra option of moving your recovery-drive from hard-drive to usb-drive, creating spaces in your device. Keep this usb-drive separate and exclusive for this purpose only.
In windows 7
Here for this system, you require a cd/dvd to serve this purpose exclusively known as system repair disk in windows7. Usb cannot be used here.
The steps are similar to windows 8/8.1 as stated above. The startup repair tool is used in this system to fix troubles.
- Press the windows key & type and select system repair disc.
- Insert cd/dvd & follow the steps onscreen.
In MAC os X
The mac computers uses os x recovery that comprises of various tools for
- Reinstallation of systems.
- Management of disk.
The attributes are fused in mac UEFI-firmware which make it very advantageous for recovering even in cases of complete wipe off of drive.
To boot in mac os x
- Download os x recovery disk assistant from apple website.
- Start it and use the drive of your choice for installing recovery softwares.
- Follow the instruction that is displayed on the screen.
- Now boot your device by pressing option key, selecting recovery-drive, and access the recovery-environment from the drive.
To boot in Linux, you just need to have a bootable usb, sd card, cd/dvd, bearing linux’s distribution live environment that carries all necessary tool for troubleshooting.
In case of any damage caused to your distribution, insert the live cd/drive/dvd to use the tools to solve the problems.
In chrome os
You got the liberty to create your recovery-drive by utilizing any operating system of your choice.
- Download & install chromebook recovery utility from chrome web store.
- During prompt, insert a minimum of 4-gb usb/sd card & choose chromebook model.
- Creation of recovery-drive is done.
This software will only task for the model whose number is been entered at the time of installation.
How to use a recovery drive ?
For booting, insert any usb/sd/cd/dvd in your device & power-on.
Prior to this booting, be certain to set the PC’s boot order is proper, so that the device knows to search-drive, access-recovery-media instead of aiming like normal boot from hard drive to desktop. The bios of the computer carries all the boxful of instructions for the computer for controlling input-output operations centrally, to initiate testing the hardware-components before boot. The key instructions are displayed on the screen for accessing BIOS’s-menu. Some common keys are f2, delete etc. it’s recommended to follow the manual in case of the display does not show you any option. You can even make online searches.
When entered into this BIOS, check out for the boot option & select it.
Navigate the menu and make changes or selection to your own convenience. Boot-order screen includes drive, sd/dvd/cd etc. arrange them according to your need.
For accessing the recovery-media make sure to keep your drive as an option for boot. After necessary changes and selection, exit the bios.
As you have used the recovery media, take up the similar process again to arrange the boot order as before or as the way you wanted.