This article explains how to upgrade windows, whether it is upgrading Window 7, 8, 8.1, or Window 10 to Window 10 Pro. However, whenever you upgrade your Window, make sure to check your Window’s current version of your Window. You can also find out which version of Windows you have by checking your system settings.
First of all, we will discuss the different ways to upgrade Window 10 to Window 10 Pro. If you have already window 10 and want to upgrade it, make sure you follow the steps carefully mentioned below:
Method-1 How to Upgrade Window 10 to Window 10 Pro via the Window Store
First of all, make sure that your PC doesn’t have any pending updates. Now if you checked it, you can go ahead.
1. Choose the Start menu, and then select Settings. Now select Update & Security.
2. Under Update & Security, select Activation on the left-hand menu. Select Go to the Store.
3. This will lead you to the Window Store. To purchase the upgrade, you can select Buy. Now log in with your Microsoft account, and then enter your payment method. Windows will upgrade in no time flat.
Method-2 How to Upgrade Window 10 to Window 10 Pro via License Key/Digital License
If you do have a copy of Window 10 Pro, or maybe you found a retail copy of the upgrade for less than Microsoft charges, you’ll need a product key that enables Window 10 Pro. You will need it to replace your current license key. To do so:
Make sure you’re up to date on any Windows update. If you are, then you can go ahead and follow the step below.
1. Go to Start Menu > Settings >Updates and Security >Activation. You will now see two ways to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.
2. If you’ve already purchased a Window 10 Pro product key, you can tap on Change Product Key and simply enter your25-digit Window Pro key to upgrade. A window will check the key against Microsoft servers. Once it validates your computer will download some of the required files for Windows 10 Pro, will ask you to reboot, and then switch you into the new version of the OS.
3. In case you don’t already have a Windows 10 Pro Product Key, you can also purchase a one-time upgrade from the built-in Microsoft Store in Windows; Simply tap the Go to the Store link to open the Microsoft Store. Through the Microsoft Store, a one-time upgrade to Window 10 Pro will cost you $99. You can pay with a credit or debit card linked to your Microsoft Account.
How to Transfer Your Window 10 Pro Upgrade
If you already have the full Operating System before this upgrade, you can remove it from its current machine and use it on another. You’re effectively reinstalling your original license, which will make the upgrade available again. If you want to do so, make sure to follow the steps:
1. Look at the bottom of your Windows laptop, or on the top/side of a desktop tower. There might be a sticker there showing your original Windows product key” alternatively, it might be in the manuals and other material that came in your PC’s box.
2. Enter the key in the Change product key dialog as noted above, and you will effectively “downgrade” to your old home license. Your Upgrade license should now be freed up to be installed on another machine.
3. Bear in mind always, you only do this while you’re online so that Microsoft can register that you removed the Pro upgrade.
How to Upgrade Window 8.1 to Windows 10
1. Make sure that upgraded files have been downloaded to your PC. Once you’ve downloaded it, you can start the process via Windows Update. However, you won’t be doing it through the Window update in the modern Settings app. If you try you may see the following message:
Note: Before starting the upgrade, make sure you have all of your important data backed up first. Or you might even want to make a system image and create a recovery key before the upgrade. The upgrade is relatively simple, but there’s always a chance of something going awry.
2. You will need to use the desktop version of the Windows update. To do that, use the keyboard shortcut Window Key + X or right-click the Start Button and choose Control Panel f from the power user menu-which is also available in Window 10. Now, scroll down to the bottom of the Control Panel and select Window Update. You will see the Window 10 upgrade is ready; you need to just hit the “Get Started” button. A new welcome screen appears as in window 10 upgraded PC.
How to Upgrade from Window 7 to Windows 10
You can upgrade from Window 7 to Window in a couple of ways. You can make a choice, whether you want to download Window 10 or use a USB to install it, there are a few essential steps. To do so, make sure you follow the to easily upgrade to the latest operating system.
1. First of all, you need to buy a Windows 10 license. As window 7 users can no longer upgrade to Windows 10 for free, you will need to buy a Windows 10 product key from Microsoft or any other authorized retailer. You can also try to get Window 10 for free if you meet the requirement.
Once you’ve decided to buy Window 10 from Microsoft, you will have two options.
- Download the OS to your machine as an ISO file
- You can choose the USB option
2. If you’re going with the USB option, you will have a copy of Window 10 mailed to your home. Using a USB is an excellent choice if your internet connection isn’t stable enough for the 4GB download.
3. The download option, meanwhile, lets you create an installation media on a CD or USB so you can completely erase your hard drive, do a clean install, and upgrade to Window 10. You can also double-click the ISO file to mount it and open the Setup.exe file in the folder to proceed.
4. To boot from the installer, make sure that the media is created, after that only you will be able to tweak your BIOS setting and you can boot from the installer. Once you’ve done this, follow the steps ahead.
5. Whatever the way you buy, you’ll likely get a product key in an email. If you want to upgrade your existing Window 7 installation without having to erase it, then continue to the next step. Doing so is a much simpler process and is a lot more foolproof.
6. If you downloaded the Window 10 Media Creation tool, open it. Or, if you’ve purchased a Windows 10 USB accesses the USB drive in Window Explorer and click the Setup.exe file. Make sure that in both cases, you will notice that whenever the window is open, there should be an option that appears that says Upgrade this PC Now.
7. You’ll need to click on that option and follow the on-screen prompts. If you’ve obtained the Window 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft online, you will need to download the Window 10 first. If you’re using the USB, there won’t be a wait.
8. Now, you will be asked to enter the product key that Microsoft emailed to you. In most cases, you will need to input the key if it’s not automatically pulled from your window 7 Machine.
Once you’ve entered the product key, you should wait for your PC to upgrade. Microsoft updates typically take about an hour, but that time depends on how old your PC and what CPU speed you’re running. Once the upgrade process complete and install, make sure to go to Windows 10’s device Manager to ensure the OS is dealing with the hardware correctly. Scroll through the list on Device Manager, lee[ an eye out for yellow exclamation marks. When you see one, right-click on it and choose Update Driver.
Doing so will let window install the correct driver after searching the internet to determine what’s appropriate.
How to Upgrade Windows 10 for Free
We have already covered this topic in our previously published article; however, if you want a complete procedure you can find it in the previous article which labeled as “how to install Window 10”.” You can find multiple methods as well. However, Windows allows you to free upgrade if you do it directly from the Microsoft official site. Follow the steps to upgrade Window 10 for free below:
1. First of all, visit https://microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 on your web browser. Click the “Download tool now” button and download the .exe file. Once you’ve downloaded it, run it, tap through the tool, and choose “Upgrade this PC now” when prompted.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions to upgrade the Window. If you want to clean install, you can select “Create Installation Media” and then provide a valid Windows 7 or 8 key while installing Window 10.
3. During the upgrade process, you will be asked to choose whether you want to keep all the files on your system or start fresh. Once it’s installed, you can go to the Settings > Update & Security > Activation Screen. You will see that your system is “Activated with a digital license.”
4. If you sign in to Window 10 with a Microsoft account, that license will be linked to your Microsoft account, making it even easier to reactivate Window 10 on your PC if you ever need to install it. And in the end, you should be able to perform a clean install of Window 10 in the future. Window 10 activation will then “phone home,” notice that your hardware configuration has a valid license on file, and automatically activate itself.
How to Upgrade From Window XP to Window 7 or 10
Still, running Window XP? I don’t think you should go ahead with this. It’s high time to Upgrade! Whether you want to move to Window 10 or Window 7, the process is mostly the same. You can learn in this article with the step-by-step guide.
Don’t find the reason, why you need to upgrade from Window XP to Window 7 or 10. There might be any reason, and you will also get various benefits or smooth running of Windows after upgrading to Windows 10.
1. Check Compatibility
First of all, you need to check your hardware is compatible. There’s no universal answer for this because it depends on the components in your system. To do so, press Window Key + R to open Run, input dxdiag, and tap Ok. Doing so will launch a diagnostic tool that details the components you have installed. You will find the pertinent information on the System and Display tabs.
Compare your current components and compatibility to the requirement for Window 7 or Window 10. For convenience, you can also download Window 7 Upgrade Advisor (if you are upgrading to Window 7). This will scan your hardware, devices, and software for any known compatibility issues and advise accordingly. Unfortunately, we couldn’t find such software for Window 10 ( when coming from XP).
Note: If you never upgraded Window XP or any of the parts, chances are that you won’t be able to run newer OS. Search your component manufacturer’s website to ensure they supply drivers to support Windows 7 or 10. If they supply the drivers, then you can upgrade it, else it’s worth considering buying a new Computer or Laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed.
2. Complete Backup
As you can create a backup in Window 8 or 10, unfortunately, you cannot do so in the Window XP. You’ll need to do a clean install, which means that none of your personal data will remain. As such, before proceeding, you need to back up your data.
To create a backup, you can use Window Easy Transfer Tool to copy your files, photos, music, e-mail, settings, and more. But we recommend you to use an external hard disk or flash drive if you have a spare one. You can then choose specifically what you want to transfer. Bear in mind that Window 10 doesn’t support the Easy Transfer Tool, but it’s still relatively easy to back up your files. Decide where you’re going to save the backup, this could be physical storage or the cloud and move everything across. When you perform this activity, makes sure you follow the step carefully, because one mistake and you will lose everything.
3. Install New OS
1. When you’re done with the above procedure, it’s time to install the new OS. If you have a license key for Window 7 or 10 without physical media, you will need to download the Window 7 or the Window 10 ISO. These disk images will guide you through the process of creating your own installation media, so you’ll need a disk/USB handy to burn it to.
2. Enter the install media into the system, and command your computer to boot from this media. You will need to restart your computer and enter the BIOS. You can find the BIOS key displaying during system, start-up and it’s usually a Delete or a Function key. Tap it until you enter the BIOS and then change your Boot device priority so that your installation media is first.
3. Now, you will reach the window 7 or Windows 10 installation process. If prompted, make sure to choose the fact that you want to install a new copy of Window, rather than an Upgrade which will not work.
4. In the next step, you’ll need to check some features such as; Set your language, Name settings, and more during the installation process.
5. Once you are done with all the procedures, a window will start the installation process. You will have to wait here; Window will take time to accomplish the process. Once it’s done, your system should restart automatically and take you into your new OS.
6. Done! You’ve successfully upgraded your system from Windows XP to Windows 7 or 10, away from the chunky blue aesthetics onto a sleeker and better protected OS.
How to Upgrade Windows XP to Vista
If you want to upgrade Window XP to vista, make sure to check compatibility. Before you upgrade your Windows Vista, take advantage of the online compatibility adviser from Microsoft. Make sure that this will require an Internet connection and a download of an ActiveX agent onto your Windows XP machine. As we already mentioned, this adviser will scan your system and ensure that your Window has the necessary hardware for Windows Vista. It will also recommend the edition of Windows Vista that you should run. If the advisor says, Yes, your Window has all the necessary hardware for Windows Vista, you can go ahead and can Upgrade Windows XP to Vista.
Create Back Up
As we already mentioned, backup is important. Doesn’t matter you are upgrading your Window to Window 8, 10, or Pro, make sure to create a complete back up so that once you upgraded the Window, you can get back all your data again in the upgraded Window.
Make sure to perform some important activity on your Window before upgrading Window to Vista. These actions are:
- The first and important thing is backing up files. Back up your files before upgrading your Vista.
- Run Disk clean up and install unnecessary applications.
- Uninstall your antivirus, spyware protection, and third-party firewalls.
- Defragment your hard drive.
- Run the Window Vista Upgrade Advisor to check if your PC is capable of running Vista.
- Prepare your Windows Vista DVD installer.
- Prepare your license key or the product key.
- Now, once you are done with the above actions, you can go ahead and follow the steps.
1. First of all, log in to Window XP and insert the Window Vista Installer to the DVD drive.
2. Note: You don’t need to booth the Window Vista DVD to perform an in-place upgrade; it won’t work. You’ll need to run the Setup program from within Window XP.
3. After you insert the DVD, an autorun will pop up. Tap on the Install Now, and choose the recommended option which is to go online for the latest updates.
4. You will be asked to enter the license key or the product key. Click upgrade, to upgrade your OS and wait while Windows upgrades your computer to Vista. Once the installation is complete, Windows will reboot. After the reboot click Use recommended settings.
5. Tap and choose an option on the screen and wait while the window finished the upgrade. Once the reboot will over, log in to your Vista and it’s done.
This was the article about how to upgrade Window 10. Here we have discussed several ways to upgrade from window 10, window 10 home to window 10 Pro. If you are running window 7, 8, XP instead of Window 10, you can still seek help from this post. You can find the ways to upgrade your every window. Hope you like this article, if still there is something you need to know or something that you want to know which is not in this article, don’t forget to leave your query in the comment section below.