When there is no longer use of the SharePoint site, you can choose to remove it. Deleting the SharePoint site will ensure only relevant content can be found. This article addresses how to delete SharePoint Sites, remove SharePoint groups, and SharePoint team. So read on, to learn about different SharePoint content retention strategies, and keep step-by-step instructions on how to permanently delete SharePoint site content.
How to Delete SharePoint Site
Note: When you try to delete a SharePoint, make sure that you should be a site owner or SharePoint administrator to remove a SharePoint site. What if, you are a site owner, but still you are not able to delete a site, in this case, it may that your administrator has turned off the ability to do so.
When you delete a team or communication site, you also delete any subsites, content, and user information that is part of the site, including documents, document libraries, lists, and list data.
1. Navigate to the team site or communication site you want to delete.
2. Select Settings (gear icon) at the top of the site and then tap Site Information.
Note: In case, you do not see the Site Information in the Settings panel, work with your SharePoint administrator to get access.
3. Now scroll to the bottom of the Site Information panel, choose “Delete This Site” or “Delete Site.” Check the confirmation box, and then choose Delete.
How to Delete SharePoint Library
You may know that document libraries are used to store and manage Microsoft Office documents, PDF files, and other types of files within SharePoint. If you want to know how to delete the SharePoint library, follow these steps:
Note: Before we go ahead, make sure that when you delete the Microsoft SharePoint library, you also delete documents, metadata about the documents, version history, library settings, and permission level that are associated with the library.
1. Visit the SharePoint site on your web browser. Now on the ribbon, select the Library tab, and then select Library Settings.
2. Now, to delete the library, hover your cursor and select the ellipsis (…), and then choose Settings. Next, on the Settings page, under Permission and Management, choose the Delete this document library link.
3. To confirm, you want to delete the library, select OK.
How to Delete a SharePoint Group Site
To delete a SharePoint group site,
1. Visit https://indiana.sharepoint.com/site/group_site_name on your web browser and log into your group site.
2. When you log in, enter the appropriate email address when prompted, replacing username with your IU username. Log in with your IU username and passphrase.
3. Once you logged in, visit the group site’s home page, and tap Site Content, and then choose Settings.
4. Under Settings, tap Site Actions. In the Site Actions section, confirm that you want to delete your site by tapping Delete this site, and then OK.
How to Delete a SharePoint Team Site
The process is very basic, and we found it from the official Microsoft site so that you can find the best possible answer of this question. Read on and learn how to remove SharePoint Team Site:
1. Open SharePoint site on your web browser and navigate to the site you wish to delete.
2. Tap the Settings button (gear icon), and then tap the Settings. You will find Site Administrations. Under Site Administration, tap the Sites and workspaces link.
3. Hit the Delete button and tap the Delete again to confirm the deletion.
Delete SharePoint Site PowerShell
To permanently delete the SharePoint Online Site from the recycle bin, you can do so by running the below command.
Import-Module Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell -DisableNameChecking
Remove-SPODeletedSite -Identity https://onlysharepoint2013.sharepoint.com/sites/MySite –Confirm:$false
Cannot Delete SharePoint Site
Cannot remove SharePoint site? It may that you have not the appropriate permission to remove the SharePoint Site. To get the permission you will need to follow the steps below and enable permission.
First of all, in SharePoint online, locate the site you wish to delete. Now tap on Settings and then Site Settings.
Go to User and Permission, and tap Site Permission.
Now, set the permission level and select Full Control. Check if Add and Customize Pages- Add, change, or delete HTLM pages or Web Part Pages, and edit the Web site using a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible editor under Site Permission is selected.
Deleted SharePoint site still showing
Once you removed the SharePoint site, wait for 30 days to completely remove the SharePoint site and check if the situation remains.